About Me

My photo
Franklin Park, New Jersey, United States

Friday, October 21, 2005

Trick or Treat.

Halloween is coming and I've been invited to two parties. The party next Friday is at Mars2112, the party on Saturday is at Opal. This is going to the first time since I was very young that I've dressed up for Halloween. Growing up we didn't celebrate Halloween. We didn't celebrate for all the All Saints Eve reasons, "it's the devils holiday" and blah, blah, blah. I never really cared much about the dressing up part really, it seemed so messy. All the makeup and raggedy clothes did nothing for me. I don't like being messy. As a little girl I didn't like making mud pies because it got my hands dirty. I'm no sissy though, I just like being clean.
The only time I remember caring about dressing up was in first or second grade. I think it was second because I had Mrs. Scott. Mrs. Scott always smelled like cigarrettes and perfume. On Halloween everyone would bring there costumes to school in a bag and after lunch you'd get dressed up and there would be a parade around the school of all the classes. This particular Halloween was the first that I didn't dress up. All day "what you were going to be" was the talk of class. I avoided the topic. I tried to think up something witty to say. I think I told the kids I was going to be, "myself, that's scary enough". My humor hasn't changed much over the years.
When it came time to get dressed I felt really out of place and sad. Everyone was all dressed up in there plastic masks with the rubber band that goes around the back of your head, and their witches hats. There I was with my regular school clothes on looking plain. Mrs. Scott made me walk the parade with no costume. Everyone wanted to know why I didn't have a costume on and I couldn't form words to give an excuse. The words just stayed stuck in my throat. When I got home I told me my mom what happened. After that she let us stay home on Halloween if we wanted to. I always wanted to.
This year I really didn't want to get dressed up. Not because I don't believe in it. I know lots of people consider Halloween satans holiday. Those same people live like the devil everyday though, I don't get it.
I digress.
I didn't want to get dressed up but my dear friend decided we should all get dressed up for Halloween as characters from the Wizard of Oz and go to a party. I'm going to be Dorothy. I already have the costume all picked out. I'm getting the dress from Rickys, I've already got shoes and a bag. I need a Toto and tights which can be gotten with ease. I suppose I need some sort of over done makeup? I have an old red lipstick some where and a few bold eyeshadow colors. I think I've got all the bases covered. My only concern is that I don't want to hurt the baby. I have to take pictures this going to truly be a night to remember.

No comments: